Home  :  Archives  :  Driving Directions  :  Lakeside History  :  Leadership  :  What We Believe  :  Links  :  Calendar  :  Media Gallery  :  Quizzes  
Welcome to Lakeside church of Christ
Tuesday, October 17 2017 @ 02:32 PM EDT
  View Printable Version 

To Love a Cause Greater Than Self by Mike King

To Love a Cause Greater Than Self

Mike King

This week, our nation and other nations, honor those Veterans who have served our armed forces to provide us the freedom we now enjoy.  It is a time as well when we pay tribute to those family members who stood by them. We thank God for such courageous and unselfish people.

This holiday, Veterans Day, was initially recognized to honor those who served in the First World War which ended at 11 AM on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.  We know that it was not a “war to end all wars.”  It was called Armistice Day and was changed in 1954 by an Act of Congress to be called Veterans Day.  That October, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, the general who led the Allies to victory in Europe, called on all citizens to “observe the day by remembering the sacrifices of all those who fought so gallantly, and through rededication to the task of promoting a lasting peace.” I noticed this past week while in Canada, citizens wearing a lapel poppy flower in remembrance of their people who served in the same war.  For the Canadians, it is called “Remembrance Day” and they are doing just that!

View Printable Version 

The Lord is My Shepherd by Tom Lucas

The Lord is My Shepherd

Tom Lucas

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want” (Psalm 23:1).  I imagine many in Fort Hood, TX have quoted this scripture in the last two weeks.  The recent shootings are very hard to comprehend.  I do not understand how anyone can do such violent acts and think they are glorifying their god.  There are families who, only two weeks ago, were thinking about the dangers overseas as their comrades fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Suddenly, they are left mourning the deaths of loved ones here in the U.S.  These scenes of tragedy are becoming far too common in the world, and many are left looking for answers.  What do they have to comfort them?

View Printable Version 

Christian, Take Up Your Sword and Fight by David McDonald

Christian, Take Up Your Sword and Fight

David McDonald

The last piece of the Christian Armor that Paul mentions is the “sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.” (Eph. 6:13-18).   It has been suggested by T. Nichol in The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Volume 1, that the sword is the most often mentioned weapon of war in the Bible.  It was a weapon used offensively and defensively by the soldier. 

View Printable Version 

Christian, Take Up Your Sword and Fight Part 2 by David McDonald

Christian, Take Up Your Sword and Fight Part 2

David McDonald

As Christians we are to use our weapon, the sword which is the Word of God. With it, we fight the devil in the false doctrines and teachings that arise in both the religious and secular world.  More importantly, within the Lord’s church which He bought with His own precious blood, falsehood must be contested.  Peter stated, “But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber” (2 Pet. 2:1-3). 

View Printable Version 

Christ was Always Meant to be Our Savior by Tom Lucas

Christ was Always Meant to be Our Savior

Tom Lucas

Recently, someone at church asked me if I knew what the stars next to certain scriptures in their Bible meant.  In this person’s Bible, some verses had stars that were solid black, and some had an outline of a star beside them.  The star beside a verse that is not colored-in indicates a prophecy concerning Jesus Christ that had not yet been fulfilled.  A darkened star, or solid star, next to a verse indicates a verse that contains a fulfillment of prophecy concerning Jesus.

This is a great tool found in many Bibles that can be used to show both the foreknowledge found in the Bible, and the overall plan of God concerning the sacrifice of Christ.  Many nonbelievers will tell you that God’s first plan for mankind failed, and Jesus was a backup plan.           

By looking at the number of times that Jesus’ life was prophesied in the Old Testament, we see that Jesus was always meant to be the Savior for mankind.  Below are a few important prophecies concerning Christ with the scripture reference of when the prophecy was fulfilled:

Event               Prophecy           Fulfillment

Born of a virgin      Is. 7:14              Mt. 1:23

Of tribe of Judah    Gen. 49:10    Mt. 1:2,2:6

House of David   Is. 9:7;  Je. 23:5; Mt. 1:1,6

Rejected by Jews   Ps. 2:1              John 6:66

30 pieces of silver   Ze. 11:12,13   Mt. 26:15

Pierced hands, feet Ps. 22:16       John 20:27

Insulted, Mocked   Ps. 109:25       Mt. 27:39

Offered gall, vinegar Ps. 69:21      Mt. 27:34

No bones broken    Ex. 12:46      John 19:36

Resurrection           Ps. 16:10         Mt. 27:63

Ascension               Ps. 68:18      Luke 24:51

If your Bible does not have these verses marked, you can cross-reference the verses yourself.  These are some great aids in teaching the Bible.